May 28, 2009

365 Cards: Cutting Cafe Watermelon!

I don't know about you, but I have thoroughly enjoyed this week of Cutting Cafe images at 365 Cards. There are only a few days left, which makes me sad! I love these special challenge weeks. This one has proved to be challenging but OH so rewarding!  Today's challenge involves the Cutting Cafe Watermelon Image. I had a lot of fun making this one:

With today's card I printed one large image (at 125%) and colored it with pencils. I used two greens to get the rind to look more real and then used two on the actual melon part. Red around the seeds and pink for the rest. Blending more than one color is what gives you the depth you need to make it more real.

I then resized the watermelon image to 50% and printed it three times, colored, trimmed and used it as a 'scallop' edge. I also cut strips of this cute checkered paper by K&Co. and sewed around each strip. I wanted my picnic blanket to look handmade! I used diamond glaze on the big seeds and colored around the sentiment to help it pop a bit. Of course I used pop dots all over this baby! Here is a close up of the bottom detail:

I cheated a little bit on this card by using an actual stamp of the bitty ant. (Kim Hughes Summer Trees). I just really wanted my ants to be carrying those watermelons right off that picnic blanket and to their home! I popped up a few with dots and glued the others flat. I just love this little ant image... it's SO cute!

I hope you can play along today. Remember the challenge is to make a card inspired by a watermelon (you don't actually have to use the image). Be inspired by the shape, or colors, anything that helps you sit down and create. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us! We love looking through all your submissions, so keep 'em comin'! And if you are loving the images you have been seeing this week, head on over to Cutting Cafe to visit Regina. She has so many wonderful sets to choose from all at a great price!

That's it for today. Thank you so much for taking time out to stop by and say 'hi'. I love hearing from you. Hope all is well in your neck o' the woods!
loves~
k

Deets:
Stamps: Printable Cutting Cafe Fruit, Summer Trees by Kim Hughes (ant)
Ink: SU! Basic Black
Paper: Papertrey Ink Vintage Cream, New Leaf, Citronella (pattern) by K&Co.
Accessories: Colored Pencils, Pop Dots, Hibiscus Burst Satin Ribbon, Vintage Button (PTI)

15 comments:

Deanne said...

Love love love this! So adorable!

Evelin said...

cute melon! :)

I dropped you something on my blog! Check it out! :D

Thanks for coming by my blog the other day :)

Unknown said...

It's absolutely fabulous Kristie! The detail on the blanket, the popping of the seeds and the little guys at the bottom all make it a wonderful creation.
Hugs
Michelle

Sherry Eckblad said...

WOW, is about all I can say. This card is totally amazing and I must agree with you I am loving this weeks challenge.
Now I have to figure out how to shrink those little watermelons in size.

~amy~ said...

You are sooooooo stinkin' clever Kristie!!!! I love your take on today's challenge!!!

Shari said...

So cute! Love it!

♥ Audrey ♥ said...

Luv how you used the melons a scallops! Clever! :) Lovely card!

ivy said...

love the watermelon card down to the melon colors!

Vicky said...

This is absolutely adorable, Kristie! Those ants are just too cute!

Ivolina said...

So beautiful card. Great work kristie.

Karen Lee said...

Lovin' those ants!

hugs, Karen Lee

Gloria Stengel said...

Another beauty! You sure got creative with those images. WOW!

Rose said...

love the little ants!! you are making some super cards with these digis :D

claudia shadler said...

oh my, this is so cute! I love the colors and the layout!

Clouds :D

Anonymous said...

love it, I think the watermelon "scallop" is fantastic.


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.