Jul 16, 2009

365 Cards: Shortcuts Week- Poem Time!

Ok, I think I might be losing my mind. I really thought the challenge today was to use a poem, but it seems you need to use a quote AND list the source. Both of these things I did not do. So I am totally lame! I will try to read the challenges more closely! But I did have fun with my poem today. When I was thinking it was to be a poem, I went straight to google. I love google. It totally rocks. I found this Children's nursery rhyme that I wanted to use.  This card is for ~Amy~. She loves owls, and honestly I couldn't stop thinking of her when I was making this. She is such a sweet gal!


For my card base I used a Shortcuts Acrylic pre-cut sheet and then cut another card insert out of the heart paper (by Sassafras Lass). I then added an eclectic collection of stamps. All my favorite designers/companies are accounted for on this baby. I used one background stamp for all of my paper piercing (screen shadow by Hero Arts) in all different colors and then stamped the other images in black over it. I like how it kind of ties it all together and off sets the big print of the hearts. And here is what the poem says:
The original rhyme ends "Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?" but it just did work for me so I changed the last line. I still wonder if maybe a person might find it offensive in some way. Like I am saying they are old, or worse yet, that they don't talk much. But I thought this might be a good card to send to a friend that always lends a listening ear and gives wise advise. I might make up another sentiment for the inside along these lines when I do indeed send it.  

So that is it for the challenge today. Only two days left until I leave and I am SO behind! I had it figured that I needed to make 3 cards a night to be sure I had enough posts and all my responsibilities covered while I am away. But I have missed the last two nights, so I might be in trouble! I hope to find time during the day today to catch up a bit, but don't worry, I will still be around with something fun to share for the rest of Shortcuts Week and for at least a week while I am gone! I will not let you down!

Hope all is well for you today. 
Take Care~
k

Deets:
Stamps: Pink Paislee Fancy Frames, PTI Wise Old Owl, Kim Hughes Welcome Summer, Hero Arts Screen Shadow
Ink: PTI New Leaf, Summer Sun. SU! Basic Black, Chocolate Chip, Close To Cocoa, Summer Sun, Hero Arts Soft Pool
Paper: PTI Stampers White, Sassafras Lass Hog Heaven (heart and scallop) Shortcuts Acrylic Card Base
Accessories: Lots 'o Pop Dots, Twine, SU! Earth Elements Markers, Sentiment Computer Generated

9 comments:

Jenny S. (UK) said...

Oh! It's fabulous, I love owls too. I have some perfect stamps I need to dig out for this.
You are so talented, everything is just put together so beautifully. x

Alicia@Playing With Paper said...

He looks like the tootsie pop owl lol very cute!! I love the poem! That was a great idea! I think you will be getting the rebel crown for the day even though yours was an accident. lol. Your cards are always great but I especially love this little guy!

Jana said...

Gorgeous card. Love the way you used the background stamp to unify the elements. And I don't think this is insulting in any way. Just very pretty.

Carolyn V said...

Haha Alicia's right... he DOES look like the tootsie pop owl! What a great, fun card. Love the colours, love the poem, and I love the dimension that the acrylic adds.

~amy~ said...

woot woot!!! I love it Kristie...it even has some sassy on it!!!!! excellent job sista!!!

Bohemian Gypsy said...

Kristie this is wonderful and using that background stamp and stamping it in different colours was a fantastic idea. I am with Amy I adore owls. I have the whole set of Kaisercraft owl paper but won't use it because I just like to look at it. . .how tragic is that? lol
Hugs
Michelle M

Gloria Stengel said...

Fabbie! I love it! And you are NOT lame. It did say POEM. I write the challenges down for the week/month and then never check them again so if they get changed...I am lame too. I also did a poem. LOL

Piali said...

beautiful !! love the paper piecing and colors. great work!!

Maria Sutton said...

This card is fabulous! I love it! Thank you for sharing your talent.


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.